Projects / Historic

Client: Abbey Scotland Ltd

Propect House (1868) - Conversion of B listed building, the former Deaf and Dumb Institution, is a valuable feature on Langside’s skyline as well as an important aspect of Glaswegian social history. 

The style is Polychromatic Ruskinian Gothic.  The structural polychrome banding of yellow Giffnock freestone, relieved with bands of red stone, is a distinctive feature, influenced by Ruskin. This banding was also originally echoed in a patterned slate roof, although this has long since been re-slated to a conventional style. Witty decorative carving, elaborate iron-crested roofs, and ornamental and figurative rainwater goods further enhance the profile of this building.

Abandoned for educational purposes, a residential conversion seemed its only lifeline.The proposals included the restoration of the dilapidated external fabric.  Stonework was restored using breathable tinted lime and stone indents.  The roof was reslated and the exterior ironwork and rainwater goods carefully preserved. 

Prospect House